Built in 1926, Wilson Elementary School is significant as a well-preserved example of the “modern” one-story school building and was added to the Spokane Register of Historic Places in 2019. Since the last updates were done 20 years ago, Wilson Elementary was much in need of more space and renovations.
This project included the replacement of two existing classrooms and the addition of six new classrooms, as well as a gym expansion with a stage, and a complete kitchen upgrade. The gym, which doubles as the cafeteria space, expanded to about 4,500 SF from its previous footprint of 2,800 SF. It has a stage to create a better venue for performances that will use gym seating. Two of the classrooms are designated for science and music to replace space that had been re-purposed to accommodate growth in student enrollment.
Garco ensured the new and renovated spaces blended well with the historic portions of the school to create a unified facility. With no room for a play field, Garco installed synthetic turf under the play equipment to bring greenery to the outdoor recreation space.
Photo credit: Tony Roslund