Veterans Day, originally called Armistice Day – is an opportunity to reflect on the service and sacrifice of military veterans. Here at Garco we are so thankful for our veterans in the community and on our staff. They and their families make so many sacrifices for our country and our freedom. While we may take time on this special day to honor and acknowledge that, know that we are grateful every single day of the year.
According to History.com, here are some facts about the veteran population of the United States:
- 18.2 million living veterans served during at least one war as of 2018.
- 9 percent of veterans are women.
- 7 million veterans served during the Vietnam War.
- 3 million veterans have served in support of the War on Terrorism.
- Of the 16 million Americans who served during World War II, about 325,000 were still alive as of 2020.
- 2 million veterans served during the Korean War.
- As of 2019, the top three states with the highest percentage of Veterans were Virginia, Wyoming, and Alaska.
Click this link to learn even more about this special holiday.
If you are a veteran or a veteran spouse , discover more about resources and discounts available to you and share with other veterans you know:
Veterans Day discounts: Learn more here.
Washington State Department of Veteran’s Affairs: Learn more here.
Washington State Virtual Veterans Career Fair: Free for veterans and their spouses: Learn more here.
Small Business Resources from the SBA Office of Veterans Business Development: Learn more here.
Comprehensive resources, benefits and programs from the VA: Learn more here.
Exchange Store Information:
Need veteran ID?
Veterans can benefit from discounted goods and services with the Veteran ID Card (VIC), even if they are not yet enrolled in VA. Veterans only need to carry the wallet-sized VIC as proof of Veteran status, rather than other documentation, such as their DD-214 form. VA can also connect VIC-holding Veterans to other benefits and services for which they may be eligible. Apply for the VIC now!